AP Notes, Outlines, Study Guides, Vocabulary, Practice Exams and more!

War of 1812 and Era of Good Feeling DBQ

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
goliso's picture
War of 1812 and Era of Good Feeling DBQ

I am not exactly sure how to use several of the documents of my DBQ. I am willing to omit two but I am having a time understanding what they have to do with the topic.

"The end of the War of 1812 and the Era of Good Feeling are often viewed as a time of cultural, economic and political nationalism. To what extent are these views accurate?"
Use the documents and your knowledge of the period 1815-1825 to construct your answer.

Document E is a density population map of 1820.
Document G is a letter from Anna Hayes Johnson in Charleston to her cousin in Raleigh, July 18 1822.
My dear Cousin,
... I suppose that by this time you are anxious to hear more about the unhappy business which has filled with consternation all our city and nothing but the merciful interposition of our God has saved us from horror equal if not superior to the scenes acted in St. Domingo -- The catalogue is not filled up for we thought that it was ended and that the execution of six of the chiefs would suffice. The court has been dismissed and the town was again sinking into its wonted security when information was given that another attempt would be made at such a time, and the state's witness fave information of such a nature as to induce the city council to recall the court, and since that period the alarm has spread most widely, and there are now between 50 and 60 of the leaders in our jail -- It is said that twenty of them have been convicted and sentenced and in all probability the execution will not end under 100, but I was told yesterday that the prisoners had been heard to say that even should there be 500 executed there would be still enough to carry the work into execution.
Document H is from the diary of John Quincy Adams, November 7, 1823.
President [Monroe] was averse to any course which should have the appearance of taking a position subordinate to that of Great Britain, and suggested the idea of sending a special Minister to protest against the interposition of the Holy Alliance... I remarked that the communication recently received from the Russian Minister... afforded a very suitable and convenient opportunity for us to take our stand against the Holy Alliance, and at the same time to decline the overture of Great Britain.

Any help is greatly appreciated. : ]

Louis323's picture

Post your question on [URL=http://www.outlineshare.com]http://www.outlineshare.com[/URL] and one of their staff will reply to you.

Pyrastra's picture

Quote:–noun 1. national spirit or aspirations.
2. devotion and loyalty to one's own nation; patriotism.
3. excessive patriotism; chauvinism.
4. the desire for national advancement or independence.
5. the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one's own nation, viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.
6. an idiom or trait peculiar to a nation.
7. a movement, as in the arts, based upon the folk idioms, history, aspirations, etc., of a nation.

Concerning Doc E: Does the population map show anything else other than population density? In my opinion at least, high population density implies a tighter community; and given that the community is stable, it must have been organized and united enough that they can still live near other. Unity is a sign of collective social nationalism.

Document G certainly runs contrary to the suggestion made in the statement of the original prompt, but I'm not sure how effective it will be in the essay. I was taught by my teacher that documents related to individuals of fame are usually beneficial to include in the essay; whatever Anna Hayes Johnson was going through certainly does not tie in much with the larger picture; there will be people unhappy in any given period. On second thoughts, though, her letter speaks of mass dissatisfaction and unrest in the city. After careful consideration, I would mention G in the essay.

I'm not really sure how to use Document H either. But as I've said before, I'm not very good at DBQs.

Need Help?

We hope your visit has been a productive one. If you're having any problems, or would like to give some feedback, we'd love to hear from you.

For general help, questions, and suggestions, try our dedicated support forums.

If you need to contact the Course-Notes.Org web experience team, please use our contact form.

Need Notes?

While we strive to provide the most comprehensive notes for as many high school textbooks as possible, there are certainly going to be some that we miss. Drop us a note and let us know which textbooks you need. Be sure to include which edition of the textbook you are using! If we see enough demand, we'll do whatever we can to get those notes up on the site for you!