AP Notes, Outlines, Study Guides, Vocabulary, Practice Exams and more!

DBQ help, American foreign policy 1895-1920

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Panman's picture
DBQ help, American foreign policy 1895-1920

Which factor, self-interest or idealism, was more important in driving American foreign policy in the years 1895-1920?

How should I start this essay and what points should I include? What exactly is self-interest and idealism? What happened between 1895 and 1920? Any other help or suggestions? Any specific details I should put? Thanks. :)

It's DBQ #9 on page A121 in the American Pageant 13th Edition

pianogirl2422's picture

1895-1920: The years between the Sino-Japanese War and and WWI.

Self-interest: Thinking about the needs of our country first, wanting to do just about anything for a profit coming in. Us doing things not out of charity and the goodness of out hearts, but for gain from other countries and other rewards. You get the picture.

Idealism: The idea that we should do things in order to help other nations and to improve our own populations. Basically the opposite of self-interest.

That should help to get you on your way. Good Luck!

[=RoyalBlue][=Comic Sans MS]
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," say Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It

Need Help?

We hope your visit has been a productive one. If you're having any problems, or would like to give some feedback, we'd love to hear from you.

For general help, questions, and suggestions, try our dedicated support forums.

If you need to contact the Course-Notes.Org web experience team, please use our contact form.

Need Notes?

While we strive to provide the most comprehensive notes for as many high school textbooks as possible, there are certainly going to be some that we miss. Drop us a note and let us know which textbooks you need. Be sure to include which edition of the textbook you are using! If we see enough demand, we'll do whatever we can to get those notes up on the site for you!