AP Notes, Outlines, Study Guides, Vocabulary, Practice Exams and more!

please help me with this DBQ question about the 1920s

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
jcx1088's picture
please help me with this DBQ question about the 1920s

It's a DBQ and i need help going about answering this question...

That 1920s was a period of tension between new and changing attitudes on the one hand and traditional values and nostalgia on the other. What led to the tension between old and new AND in what ways was the tension manifested?

I NEED MAJOR HELP PLEASE!!!! if anyone could give me their opinions that would be appreciated, thanks :)

pianogirl2422's picture

I suggest that you start by making a list of all the old traditions and of the new ones. Then look at the differences between the two and see if you can find the source of tension.

If you are still confused post what you have and then ask for more specific things. Until then I suggest you do some research.

[=RoyalBlue][=Comic Sans MS]
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," say Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It

actr38's picture

I am working on the same DBQ! and i need help...

this is what i have:

Causes (things that led to the tensions)- new science (darwinism), industrial revolution, prohibition, racism, wwi

ways manifested- riots (blacks vs. whites, kkk), fundamentalism

how do i organize this essay??

stupidgurl2boiz's picture

There are a few ways to organize this essay, you can do it by writing on the old, then the new, then bring everything together last. Or you can compare all the way through taking one topic at a time...the first seems easier to me though. Its what I did a lot last year on similar questions

There is no future. There is no past. There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret or life is your to miss. No other road, no other way. No Day But Today!!!

pianogirl2422's picture

Both the ways stupidgurl2boiz suggested are good ways to organize your essay. Another way is to talk about the sources of tension first and then talk about how they were manifested secondly. I personally would talk about the old then the new then the tension as well, but how you do it is ultimately up to you.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," say Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It

actr38's picture

Thanks for your help!

But those suggestions are talking mroe about what the tensions were between the new and the old. I need to talk about what LED to the tensions and how they were manifested!

would this be a good outline??

P1: to be determined

P2: Cause
-manifestation of that tension
P2: Cause
-manifestation of that tension

and so on and so forth!!

also...got any ideas for the manifestations of the tensions??

pianogirl2422's picture

You can do that structure as well- just remember there can be more than one cause per manifestation. You could also try to group manifestations- find a common theme- and put multiple ones in a paragraph.

As to manifestations they could be anything from the violence of the KKK like lynchings and burnings to court cases to the creation of laws and even to journalism (not saying they necessarily are, just laying out your options). Keep in mind that these things can also be causes. For example the outbursts of the KKK could definitely be considered a manifestation of the old world wanted to keep back the blacks while the new world tried to boost them up (well, not really trying, but they were moving up) so eventually they tried to do it themselves.

actr38's picture

Thanks for much for your help! This DBQ is so confusing! hopefully i got all the information...i have a habit of leaving out important things and then my teacher freaks out. So, lets hope i got it all!

The causes i have are: Prohibition and Fundamentalism, Science (which also includes fundamentalism), nativism/racism (includes KKK and lynchings and such) and Industrial Revolution/consumerism.

i fit all the documents in to these categories...but is there anything important that im missing??

pianogirl2422's picture

Well, she may want something about immigration. The older generation, many of whom were immigrants clashed with the newer generation who were influenced by the red scare and a falling economy were against even more immigrants coming as they might be radicals/communists or might be depressing wages and impeding unionization (as my review book puts it). The result was the Emergency Quota Act which restricted immigration from certain countries like Italian, Greeks, Poles, and eastern European Jews and three years later the National Origins Act of 1924 which set a maximum number of immigrants allowed in the country. And an additional fact- remember this was post WWI so there were A LOT of refugees from Europe who wanted in.

Or something like that. So it's up to you whether to include that or not. And if you ever need advice feel free to ask.

Oh! I'm assuming the Scopes trial is under the Science section. If not, you definitely need to include that.

actr38's picture

Yes, I included immigration under the Nativism section. Although, I didnt talk about the Red Scare at all! I'll add that...Thanks!

And yes, the Scopes Trial was under the Science section.

Thanks for all your help...i think i got it all now!

pianogirl2422's picture

Anytime! Glad to be of service and let us know if you need any more help!

Need Help?

We hope your visit has been a productive one. If you're having any problems, or would like to give some feedback, we'd love to hear from you.

For general help, questions, and suggestions, try our dedicated support forums.

If you need to contact the Course-Notes.Org web experience team, please use our contact form.

Need Notes?

While we strive to provide the most comprehensive notes for as many high school textbooks as possible, there are certainly going to be some that we miss. Drop us a note and let us know which textbooks you need. Be sure to include which edition of the textbook you are using! If we see enough demand, we'll do whatever we can to get those notes up on the site for you!